Blackheads and Whiteheads
What are blackheads and whiteheads?
Blackheads and whiteheads are small plug-like formations in the pores of the skin.
Technically a part of ‘acne’, they can be present in all skin types sporadically or acutely. Blackheads, as the name suggests, have a black ‘tip’ caused by exposure to air (oxidation).
What causes / triggers blackheads and whiteheads?
Pores blocked with excess oil, bacteria and dead skin cells (much like pimples). They are usually present in the t-zone where oil production is at its highest.
Tips to help combat blackheads and whiteheads naturally:
- Don’t squeeze blackheads as it can damage the surrounding skin and cause scarring
- Regular exfoliation is important to keep your face free of excess dead skin cells thus preventing the blockage in the first place
- Cleanse your makeup off properly every day – double cleanse and use a toner to ensure all has been removed effectively
- See a skin therapist / dermal clinician for blackhead removal – they adopt gentle extraction techniques to minimise chance of scarring / tissue damage.
Recommended 3 step skincare routine for blackheads and whiteheads:
- Cleanse with Purify Facial Cleanseror Rescue Acne Foaming Cleanser twice daily. A pH balanced gel cleanser with natural antibacterial properties.
- Exfoliate with Rescue Pore Refiner Essence daily or use Exfoliating 2in1 Scrub & Mask twice a week.
- Apply Rescue Acne Cream as a ‘mask’ on the areas affected by blackheads and whiteheads. The Green French Clay along with anti-inflammatory herbs work like a plunger to help release and remove the ‘plugs’ in your pores.
- Apply a hydrating lotion that does not ‘block’ pores, such as the Boost Balancing Moisturiser with natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial botanicals.