Here’s How Inflammation Of The Skin Causes Premature Ageing
Have you heard the term inflammaging? If you haven’t, you’re going to want to read this. In a nutshell, inflammaging is a term used to describe aging induced by chronic, persistent inflammation. Chronic inflammation exhausts the skin’s defence system which in turn weakens the structure of the skin which leads to a rapid drop of collagen. All of this combined equals premature aging. Health issues like Alzheimer’s disease, atherosclerosis, cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes and even cancer have also been attributed to inflammaging.
Sounds scary, right? It is. We’re going to break it down for you so you can make sure you’re doing all the right things for your skin not to mention, your health and wellbeing!
What causes skin inflammation?
When you’re dehydrated, your skin suffers. When your skin is dehydrated it’s susceptible to infections, breakouts and congestion and atopic skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
Fear not, you can boost your hydration quick smart.
First, commit to drinking 2L of water per day. We know, we know it seems like a lot but here’s a quick trick. Buy a 1L drink bottle and aim to drink it before lunch. Fill your drink bottle again and aim to drink it before dinner. We promise you’ll see a marked difference in your skin because of it.
Skin wise, you need to up the hydration with a mix of a hydrating serum (like Olive Skin Serum) twice per day followed by a lovely thick moisturiser (our Olive Repair Cream is amazing!) morning and night. Try to go sans-makeup if you can so your skin has a chance to repair.
A poor diet
We believe your skin is only as good as your diet so if you are experiencing inflammation, your diet is an excellent way to start.
Limit these foods to decrease inflammation in your skin:
- Alcohol reduces the amount of zinc and magnesium in your body and is toxic for your liver.
- Meat is known to slow down your digestive system and increases bad bacteria in your gut.
- Dairy slows down your natural detoxification process.
- Gluten and wheat can irritate your bowels leading to indigestion, bloating and constipation.
- Caffeine drys out your skin and increases the toxins in your body.
- Salt dehydrates your body and slows down the detoxification process.
- Sugar decreases good bacteria and leads to inflammation.
Instead, fill your plate and stomach with these superfoods:
- Avocado is rich in potassium, promotes the absorption of good fats and cleanses the liver and bowels.
- Leafy Green Vegetables are rich in iron, high in antioxidants and they’ll reduce inflammation.
- Garlic not only flavours food, it has immune-boosting properties that help detox the liver and fight illness.
- Lemon is packed with vitamin C which increases the production of collagen and it helps cleanse the body of environmental stressors.
- Apples can cleanse your body of toxins and decrease your cholesterol.
- Tumeric protects your body, promotes digestion and is known to be antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and a strong antioxidant.
Toxins & Environmental Stressors
Did you know it only takes 26 seconds for chemicals to enter your bloodstream? When you think of all the nasties floating around it’s a pretty alarming fact. Along with toxic chemicals, Australia’s harsh weather and glaring sunlight is really tough on your skin.
To protect your skin from damage and harsh chemicals, we suggest our Acai Berry Antioxidant Serum. This will address each problem at its root while feeding your skin much-needed vitamins and nutrients. All of this combined will keep your skin happy and as an added bonus, it will boost your collagen production!
The only sustainable solution is to care for your skin with solutions that also contribute to a cleaner and greener environment. Botani’s catalogue of organic treatments provides safe, natural and eco-friendly skincare, without compromising on quality.
Look out for these nasty chemicals which work against your skin health:
- PEG’s aka Polyethylene Glycol can harm the nervous system and interfere with reproductive health.
- Parabens mimic estrogen and disrupt our hormone balance.
- Artificial Fragrance commonly includes chemicals known to cause cancer, respiratory problems, reproductive issues and more.
- Silicone forms a seal over your skin which clogs pores and traps dirt.
If your beauty products are laden with PEGs, parabens, fragrance or silicone, they should never touch your skin. Also? They have ZERO benefits to your skincare routine. Instead, try Botani’s botanically based, natural, vegan skincare range. Your skin (and your health) will thank you for it.
Stress can wreak havoc on your skin. Along with our emotional health, stress can really impact our skin health. When our bodies and minds are stressed, cortisol floods the system. This hormone triggers inflammation.
Once this inflammation becomes chronic, our health is impacted. You may notice this through pain, swelling, digestion issues, fatigue, excess oil production, dark circles in your undereye area and thin lines.
If these symptoms persist, you’ll likely notice your skin is aging faster than it should be.
Combat stress in your life and you are on your way to a strong body, mind and, lovely even skin. Consider committing to a weekly Radiant Rose Face Mask. This works to penetrate your skin and heal it from within. As an added bonus, it’s an excuse for a little rest and relaxation.
Aging is something that happens to all of us, we believe those fine lines are earned and should be celebrated. If however, you’d like some expert advice on aging and your skincare routine, we’ve developed a guide here.
LOBACHEVSKY UNIVERSITY, Scientists have identified the role of chronic inflammation as the cause of accelerated aging, NEWS RELEASE 29-JAN-202 https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-01/lu-shi012920.php